feel ill at ease

< Previous | Next >

burkuu

turkish
Hello

Can anybody help me understand this sentence of Bertolucci: 'No, not at all. I feel ill at ease in the great contradiction of cinema, which is so difficult to resolve.' This is his reply to the question if he felt a guilty conscience about getting financial aid from Hollywood.

The part that I didn't understand is 'to feel ill at ease'...

thanks in advance
Burcu

• heartnsoul

USA
    USA - English, Mandarin
    To feel ill at ease is to feel anxious about something - i.e. the idea does not sit well with them.

Does this help?

bibliolept

AE, Español
    "ill at ease" has its own entry in the WordReference dictionary:
    awkward, ill at ease(p), uneasy
    not at ease socially; unsure and constrained in manner; "awkward and reserved at parties"; "ill at ease among eddies of people he didn't know"; "was always uneasy with strangers"
    http://www.wordreference.com/definition/ill%20at%20ease

In general speech, it means that you are not comfortable with something.

burkuu

turkish
    Thanks a lot. So in this sentence Bertolucci doesn't feel good about the idea of demonstrating against cinema, is that right?

YoELCretino

United States-English
    Thanks a lot. So in this sentence Bertolucci doesn't feel good about the idea of demonstrating against cinema, is that right?
    I think what he means is that he feels uncomfortable about that fact that the art of cinema, which he loves and respects, depends so much on Hollywood's financial support. I think that's why he calls it a difficult contradiction to resolve, I guess. That's my humble interpretation of his statement. Anyone else care to opine?

< Previous | Next >