feel impatience / impatient with

longslope

Japanese
Hello, everyone.

This time, I'd like to ask you which expression is correct or natural between the following two sentences.

#1. When
I reached the age of thirty, I suddenly began to feel impatience with myself.
#2. When I reached the age of thirty, I suddenly began to feel impatient with myself.

I wrote #1, but several, not all, native English speakers corrected it to #2.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
  • N.Sebastian

English
    For technical definitions, I was linked to this thread: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1900715 "-ence" and "ency," though not precisely the same, are so similar that it should apply here.

As far as my personal impressions, which might not be shared by others -

#1 sounds softer to me. More a sense of impatience, which could be of varying degrees of intensity. You could have a general or unspecified problem with impatience, maybe by getting impatient too often, or by getting intensely impatient. It doesn't refer to a specific event that makes you impatient, and you might not know exactly why you are experiencing impatience.

#2 sounds less formal and more concrete. You'd probably hear it more in conversation. "___ makes me impatient." "I'm impatient because ___" "__ is getting really impatient." It also strikes me as more intense. "Impatient" makes me think of someone who knows why they are impatient, and probably expresses it in some way, even if they don't do so intentionally. More a specific state of being.

In everyday speech, those distinctions don't really matter. One possible exception: if I hear "I've felt impatient for a long time," I might assume it refers to one episode - like waiting in line - but if I hear "I've felt impatience for a long time," I would be more likely to think it refers to an occurrence or series of occurrences over a period of months or years that have caused that person impatience.

< Previous | Next >