Feel

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Alxmrphi, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Ugh why do I bother putting myself through this!!!

Okay, sentire is to hear / to feel, and that's so annoying, are there any more common (it's ok if they are less common) verbs that express to hear / feel without me using sentire and worrying which way it has been read.

2. Saoul

Saoul Senior Member

Spain, Valencia
    Italian
    Udire (hear)
    provare (feel)
    avvertire (feel and sometimes also hear)
    captare (hear)

3. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    doesn't provare also mean "to try" ?

This is ridiculous, everywhere I go I find another problem, I want to use verbs that don't have two opposite meanings and I find more *bangs head on desk*

4. danalto

danalto Senior Member

Roma, Italia, Europa
    Italy - Italian
    Yes, sentire means to hear, but it also mean to feel.

Don't complain, cause you don't know how difficult your language could be to us! :D

5. disegno

disegno Senior Member

San Francisco
    United States English
    Ciao Alex, your frustration comes from trying to find direct translations into English for every word. Don't be so tough on yourself. You need to start thinking in Italian and not in English. Just like "non vedo l'ora di vederti" never made sense to me that it should mean "I can't wait to see you" (when it literally translates to "I don't see the hour of seeing you"), however once I stopped trying to think about it literally, it just grew on me and with use it became what it is without me translating it back into English. You just have to start using "sentire" e "provare" e "sentirsi" and pretty soon you will feel comfortable with them and won't have to over think them. People will correct you if you use the wrong word...but that is how you learn the word. Reading Italian novels and listening to Italian television can also help you hear these words and how they are used so they will seem more natural and you will be more confident using them.

So stop banging your head on the desk...don't despair...go rent an Italian movie and hear & feel the language!!!:D

6. Saoul

Saoul Senior Member

Spain, Valencia
    Italian
    And provare is also to try!
    Think of us Italian trying to use "get"! Get can be almost everything!

I don't know if it can be of any help, but when you are talking to someone there are just a few occasions you aren't able to understand if you sentire as feel, or as hear! Context always makes things work!

7. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    I had a feeling that would be the answer. I guess I'll just have to do that then.

8. Saoul

Saoul Senior Member

Spain, Valencia
    Italian
    Non sarebbe così bello, se fosse facile!

9. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    I suppose so, but, there is a limit!

10. disegno

disegno Senior Member

San Francisco
    United States English
    ...e non c'è rosa senza spine! :D

11. Ardath Member

Brava, Danalto!

Ardath