Feeling a bit arty

Little Star

Persian
Hello,

I'm wondering if the adjective arty, would be negative as well, when one refers to their own work. In a context where everyone knows that they're not an artist but joking that they're feeling being an artist by having done such a work. So do you use: feeling arty in that context?
Thanks in advance

• Chasint

English - England
    Please give the actual sentence that you might say to someone. In isolation the phrase is difficult to judge.

What is your sentence?

e.g. I'm feeling arty because I painted a picture. :(

Little Star

Persian
    [QUOTE="

e.g. I'm feeling arty because I painted a picture. :([/QUOTE]

Yes, actually while showing a work, like a painting or a picture. Can I say: I'm feeling arty.

Packard

USA, English
    I would not personally use "arty"; it is slang for "artillery" in the USA. The word I would choose is "artsy". There is a previous thread on this:

Arty / Artsy

I think both "arty" and "artsy" are used as a pejorative. "Artistic" is more neutral.

Myridon

English - US
    I would not personally use "arty"; it is slang for "artillery" in the USA.
    Not for those of us who haven't been in the military. I've never heard it.

"I feeling arty." makes me think that you would like to create some art, not that you feel like an artist.

Packard

USA, English
    Not for those of us who haven't been in the military. I've never heard it.

"I feeling arty." makes me think that you would like to create some art, not that you feel like an artist.
    I don't recall anything "artistic" being referred to as "arty".

As a pejorative I hear "artsy-fartsy" or "artsy-craftsy"

I can't quote from a Google books copy but they are saying that only "artistic" is not used as a pejorative.

The Columbia Guide to Standard American English

1. YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp

• adjective

-·sier, -·si·est
        INFORMAL having or showing artistic pretensions: often seen as more pejorative than arty

Arty.
    Artillery.
    Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.

Little Star

Persian
    I don't recall anything "artistic" being referred to as "arty".

As a pejorative I hear "artsy-fartsy" or "artsy-craftsy"

• adjective

-·sier, -·si·est
        INFORMAL having or showing artistic pretensions: often seen as more pejorative than arty

Arty.
    Artillery.
    Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Thanks a lot. But it means that www.artsy.net is also a name that shouldn't have been taken for this webpage? I'm a bit confused even though I feel like I would never ever dare using arty or artsy anymore.

Packard

USA, English
    Thanks a lot. But it means that www.artsy.net is also a name that shouldn't have been taken for this webpage? I'm a bit confused even though I feel like I would never ever dare using arty or artsy anymore.
    It does seem like a poor choice to me. They opened a billiards bar near my house and named it "scratch" which is even worse. Sort of like naming a football themed bar and calling it "fumble".

< Previous | Next >