feeling impatience and even contempt -- the hypocrisy, [dash?]

sisse nar

Korean
This is from "Brief Interviews with Hideous Men" by David F. Wallace.

"I'm going to pay you the compliment of not pretending to worry whether you understand what I'm referring to about the difficulty of not feeling impatience and even contempt - the hypocrisy, the blatant self-contradiction, the way you know from the outset that there will be the requisite enthusiasms for the rain forest and spotted owl, creative meditation, feel-good psychology, macrobiosis, rabid distrust of what they consider authority without evidently once stopping to consider the rigid authoritarianism implicit in the rigid uniformity of their own quote unquote nonconformist uniform, vocabulary, attitudes."

I don't get the structure of this sentence. What does 'dash(-)' mean here? How does it connect before and after it?

• cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    I don't get the structure of this sentence. What does 'dash(-)' mean here? How does it connect before and after it?
    You are not alone. The style approaches "stream of consciousness." The dash (which should be an "em dash"—not a hyphen) is linking two sections which are more or less logically, but not grammatically linked in the author's mind.

< Previous | Next >