feet <were aching>. We <had queued> [past perfect simple or continuous]

Gaiacici

Italiano
Hello there! :)
Could you tell me if these sentences are correct,please? :)
-my feet were aching. We had queued for hours. (Is it correct? Or Do I have to write 'we had been queued'?)
- they had forgotten to get a passport for their son and so Shaun couldn't fly,luckily they had arrived (is it correct? Or do I have to write 'they 'were arriving'?) very early for their flight so they still had time to do something about it.
Thank you very much!

• rooster99

English- London
    my feet were aching. We had queued for hours. (Is it correct? Or Do I have to write 'we had been queued'?)
    Here, there are two separate sentences and we don't know if they are related, so any tense can be used. However, I think you wanted the two sentences to be related, so let's rewrite the sentence like this:

My feet were aching
    because we had queued for hours :tick:

This sentence is correct and you are saying that, at the time of your feet aching, you had finished queuing

You could also say:

My feet were aching because we had been queuing for hours
    :tick:This sentence is also correct and implies that, at the time of your feet aching, you were still queuing.

they had forgotten to get a passport for their son and so Shaun couldn't fly,luckily they had arrived (is it correct? Or do I have to write 'they 'were arriving'?) very early for their flight so they still had time to do something about it.
    'They had arrived' :tick:

'They were arriving' would imply that they were in the process of arriving while they had forgotten to get a passport, which isn't true

< Previous | Next >