fellow

osbern

Chinese
Hi, everyone

Tom is the person I met in an English corner, we talked in English in the English corner, sometimes we chatted on the Internet in English to practice English, Anything we have done is learn English.

So, which of the following is correct?
1: Tom is my English Corner fellow;
2: Tom is my English Learning fellow;

any other better expression? thanks

Osbern

• b1947420

British English
    Hi, everyone

Tom is the person I met in an English corner, we talked in English in the English corner, sometimes we chatted on the Internet in English to practice English, Anything we have done is learn English.

So, which of the following is correct?
    1: Tom is my English Corner fellow;
    2: Tom is my English Learning fellow;

any other better expression? thanks

Osbern
    I'm sorry but both read a bit odd, it is not clear just what is meant here.

I suggest something like: "Tom is a friend who I met in the English class, we help each other in our English studies."

or "Tom is my English studies colleague"

Last edited:

owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Osbern. I agree with B1947420 that your suggested versions sound odd. You could get pretty close to your original remark by saying:

Tom is a fellow student I met at the English Corner.

osbern

Chinese
    thank you all so much!

I know it is common to say "fellow worker, fellow colleague, fellow student, schoolfellow, fellow prisoner, fellow travller, fellow sufferer, fellow townsmen, fellow citizen", that is why I wondered if there were some regular expressions to say this relationship.

I am happy because I get to know how to say in this circumstance, and I realized it is better to say "at the English Corner" or "in the English class" than "in the English Corner".

thank you again !

Osbern

osbern

Chinese
    I think this version is better:
    Tom is a friend who I met in the English class, we help each other in our English studies.

the following one has another meaning:
    Tom is a fellow student I met at the English Corner

Tom was one of my fellow students in the high school, and I happened to see him at the English Corner.

is it possible to understand like this?

b1947420

British English
    Tom is a fellow student that I met at the English Corner

Tom was (is) one of my fellow students in the high school, and I (recently) happened to see him at the English Corner. Yes! this is acceptable. If he is currently your study colleague then I suggest you use the present tense.
    is it possible to understand like this?
    I have inserted "that" because to my eyes it reads better although in English the useage is optional.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >