felt <apprehensive about / anxious about> changing the job

Mama Sushi

Vietnamese - Vietnam
Excuse me, I want to ask if i can put " anxious about " instead of " apprehensive about " in this sentence :
Stephen felt apprehensive about changing the job.
Is that ok? Is there any difference between those phrases? Many thanks.

Last edited:
  • Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    For me, "apprehensive" has a more negative connotation including doubt-- kind of whether he should really change his job, whether it would be a good step. "Anxious", on the other hand, simply expresses his worry (but not doubt). Maybe he is worried how he will manage to do things successfully at his new workplace, how he will commute, where he will stay, etc. But that may be just me.

Mama Sushi

Vietnamese - Vietnam
    For me, "apprehensive" has a more negative connotation including doubt-- kind of whether he should really change his job, whether it would be a good step. "Anxious", on the other hand, simply expresses his worry (but not doubt). Maybe he is worried how he will manage to do things successfully at his new workplace, how he will commute, where he will stay, etc. But that may be just me.
    Thanks

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    Frequently, apprehensive has to do with anxiety about the future: an anticipation. "A fearful or uneasy anticipation about the future; dread." American Heritage Dictionary, 1970. Anxiety can be about almost anything.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    :thumbsup:

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Thanks for your confirmation, RG.

In other words, in the context provided "anxious" focuses more on his nervousness/worry about the new job (which is actually a normal feeling of anybody who changes his job) while "apprehensive" seems to reflect more his doubt about his decision (to change his job)-- whether it would be a good decision to change the job.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >