felt for

DSubSG

French - France
Bonsoir,

après avoir parcouru le site, j'en ai déduit que l'occurrence du verbe "feel for" dans l'extrait ci-dessous ne convenait pas à celles qui ont été déjà abordées. J'aurais tendance à la comprendre comme "ressenti". Qu'en dites-vous?

"As when asking questions a designer must learn how to listen, so he must learn to absorb impressions in survey work; a building must be felt for."

Merci d'avance.

• Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    I'm not sure I agree. But for me the English isn't clear at all here.

I think what is meant here is this definition of "feel" that I find in my dictionary: "To find one's way by testing or cautious exploration."

That is, by testing, exploration, perhaps experimentation, you make gradual progress towards the solution to a problem.

I found this title of a book: "Feel Your Way to Better Golf". By practicing, playing a lot, taking lessons, etc., bit by bit you play better golf.

I think the basic idea here is "feel your way along", which my dictionary tranlates as, "avancer à tâtons".

So in your example, I think the idea is that a designer must ask questions, learn to listen, absorb impressions, and bit by bit he sees how to build the building. "He feels his way along to a solution."

That's the way I understand it, but as I say, I don't think the English is really clear here.

< Previous | Next >