female football player

Sair-ann

English - Australia
Ciao, I wish to express in Italian 'Melissa Barbieri is a very skilled Australian football player'. The words 'calciatore' and 'giocatore di calcio' are masculine, which puts me in a bit of confusion. Would this attempt be correct - 'Melissa Barbieri è un calciatore australiano molto bravo'. Should the adjectives be in the masculine form even though Melissa is female? Also, is there a noun in Italian that expresses 'female football player'? Is it possible to say 'una calciatore'?

Thank you for any help you can give.

• Holymaloney

English (UK) / Italian - bilingual
    Hi SA :)
    I'm not sure you can say 'calciatrice' :( but maybe 'una giocatrice di calcio femminile' might work: '...Melissa Barbieri è una giocatrice di calcio femminile australiana molto brava...'.
    Let's see what the others come up with ;)

MR1492

English -USA
    I'm not sure you can say 'calciatrice' :( but maybe 'una giocatrice di calcio femminile' might work: '...Melissa Barbieri è una giocatrice di calcio femminile australiana molto brava...'.
    Just a quick question on the above for my own education. Is saying "una giocatrice di calcio femminile" redundant? Isn't giocatrice feminine to begin with and isn't adding femminile unnecessary?

Thanks.

Phil

Rain_UK

Italian
    Saying giocatrice, you are already referring implicitly to a female player.
    You can of course say calciatrice, as well.
    Hence, you can say the sentence in Italian in two ways

Melissa Barberini è una giocatrice di calcio australiana molto brava
    Melissa Barberini è una calciatrice australiana molto brava

Actually I would use the latter.

mirko92

Banned
    Italian
    Calciatrice is fine.
    I'd also suggest: Melissa Barbieri, australiana, gioca in una squadra di calcio femminile, ed è bravissima.

Sair-ann

English - Australia
    Grazie a tutti voi che avete risposto alla mia domanda. Tutti le vostre risposte sono state di grande aiuto. In riassunto: e calciatrice, e giocatrice di calcio sono possibili. Perfetto.

Sair-ann

English - Australia
    Grazie Holymaloney.

Luigi R.

Italy - Italia
    Grazie a tutti voi che avete risposto alla mia domanda. Tutti le vostre risposte sono state di grande aiuto. In riassunto: e calciatrice, e giocatrice di calcio sono possibili. Perfetto.
    Better to say: "Sia calciatrice, sia giocatrice di calcio".

You're welcome.

Rain_UK

Italian
    Better to say: "Sia calciatrice, sia giocatrice di calcio".

You're welcome.
    If you want to be really pernickety, then you would have had to correct other words, as well.

Grazie a tutti voi che avete risposto alla mia domanda. Tutte le vostre risposte sono state di grande aiuto. Riassumendo: sia calciatrice sia giocatrice di calcio sono possibili. Perfetto.

Tutte refers to risposte, which is feminine.
    Tutti is not correct, given that the adjective does not correspond in gender with the substantive because this one adjective is masculine.

I have never heard of the expression in riassunto, in Italian. That must be a literal translation from English [that is, in short].

The conjunction sia ....sia does not require a comma between them.

;)

< Previous | Next >