fencing style

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Masis, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Masis Senior Member

Bulgarian
    Cavalry re - adopted javelins, while lighter swords and fencing styles of sword play were evolved.

Hello. Can yoy help me to understand what is deference between this two words in bolt. I think they are the same one thing. So why is that?

2. kitenok Senior Member

Hi Masis,
    I am no expert in the history of sword fighting, so maybe someone else will be able to give a more informed answer. But I can give you an interpretation based on the sentence structure: the "of" between the two phrases in question indicates to me that the "fencing style" is a type of "sword play," seemingly associated with the development of lighter swords.

In my own limited experience, I would indeed associate the word "fencing" only with highly refined technique using light and thin swords. The "fencing style" might be differentiated from, say, the "bludgeoning-your-opponent-right-away-with-a-huge-broadsword style" of sword play. :rolleyes:

3. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    I pretty much agree with kitenok. I also agree with you, Masis, that they seem to mean the same thing. That was my immediate thought (that there was some redundancy in the phrase) and the Compact OED seems to agree as it describes swordplay as "fencing with swords or foils". However, other dictionaries give fencing as an example of swordplay, in which case it is fine. I think it is up to you to choose your weapon!

4. Masis Senior Member

Bulgarian
    Thanks for help. I think that in my language the best way is to evoide the one of this words. And it will be sound good. So fencing is high level of sword play, some kind of virtuoz fighting with swords.

5. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    Not necessarily a high level, it just refers to a style of sword-fighting. Depending on which definition you use, it can refer to the style of sword fighting, originating in Europe, that employs particular types of swords ("foil, épee, or saber"). It might refer to the modern sport, based on the above, where blunted swords are used. Or it might be used loosely to describe any similar kind of sword-fighting, or play, at any level.

6. Franzi Senior Member

Astoria, NY
    (San Francisco) English
    No, I assume it's a style of sword fighting that uses speed and dexterity instead of strength.

7. Masis Senior Member

Bulgarian
    Thank you. Your help is very useful.