fery

emma1968

ITALY-italian
Ehi là,
I'm listening a BBC programm to, they are talking obout "fery". This is how they pronounce it, I'm not sure this is the right writing way. They are talking about something who is neither god nor human and who in the past obssesed many Victorian artists .
Do you have any idea what they are talking about?

• emma1968

ITALY-italian
    cuchuflete said:
    My first thought was "politician", but on reflection I have to agree with both Lsp and Charles.
    Bella battuta Cuchu!!!!
    Indeed, if I think at our politicians the word can works

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Emma,
    To muddle this just a little more, the word fairy was used for a long time to refer mockingly to an effeminate male or to a homosexual male. That usage has become rare in current AE.

emma1968

ITALY-italian
    cuchuflete said:
    Emma,
    To muddle this just a little more, the word fairy was used for a long time to refer mockingly to an effeminate male or to a homosexual male. That usage has become rare in current AE.
    It's very interesting to know this!!!!!!
    Thanks Cuchu.

Hello Emma,

The Victorians (not just artists) were certainly obsessed with fairies, both good and bad. Victorian children believed that fairies lived at the bottom of the garden.

Where I live, peope claim to have seen and spoken to fairies. But we are a strange lot on the Isle of Wight.

However, I'm sure that fairies can be found all over the world. ;)

LRV

emma1968

ITALY-italian
    la reine victoria said:
    Hello Emma,

The Victorians (not just artists) were certainly obsessed with fairies, both good and bad. Victorian children believed that fairies lived at the bottom of the garden.

Where I live, peope claim to have seen and spoken to fairies. But we are a strange lot on the Isle of Wight.

However, I'm sure that fairies can be found all over the world. ;)

LRV
    LRV, nice to hear you again !!!!
    I appreciated very much your contribution, a very helpful one.
    A kiss Emma

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    The programme was about fairies.
    I heard it too.
    It was comparing and contrasting the fairy legends in different cultures - English, Jewish and ... duh ... another one where fairies have something to do with snakes.
    The originals were not at all like the fairy stories in WMPG's bedtime books - stolen or poisoned babies seemed to feature a lot:eek: I didn't hear the end of the programme - it got soo scary so I turned it off:D

maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    Stolen children (changelings) feature largely in Irish folklore.
    It is just over 100 years (1890s in the midland region, I think) since a woman called Bridget Cleary was killed by her husband (with the connivance of her birth-family) who believed that she was a changeling.

< Previous | Next >