Fever

Dr.Appalayya

India;Telugu
Hell friends, Please help me write correctly the following.

I got fever. What is the passive voice of it ? I want to express that fever came to my body. I want to make fever the subject. How?

• LV4-26

Hello, :)
    I have no idea how you can turn that sentence into the passive form. I think you simply can't.
    However, you can always use "fever" as the subject of an active sentence.

JamesM

Hello, Dr. Appalayya. I don't think we normally express it this way. It was more common in the past, I think, at least from my reading.

I suppose you could say,

"I was overcome by a fever." (a bit dramatic and old-fashioned sounding)
    "I was stricken with a fever." (very literary-sounding to me)
    "I came down with a fever." (not too passive, but much more common)

Perhaps someone else will have a better suggestion.

I honestly can't think of a way to put it in a true passive voice.

shrek99

English Australia
    If you were to use:
    I was taken by a bad fever last week.....it would be easily understood 'down under..under' in Tasmania. Possibly a somewhat countrified expression, but if you want to use a passive construction it certainly would not sound ridiculous here.

Dr.Appalayya

India;Telugu
    Thanks, JamesM, Shrekk99, Porteno. Great community indeed. Can you also help me in the following situation.

What is the best expression for " Fever attacked me in the morning?"

JamesM

Thanks, JamesM, Shrekk99, Porteno. Great community indeed. Can you also help me in the following situation.

What is the best expression for " Fever attacked me in the morning?"
    I think we may have different mental images for a fever in our different languages. To me, in English, we treat the fever as a symptom of something attacking us, not the actual thing that is attacking us. The fever is thought of as a defense our system is mounting against something that is attacking our bodies.

I don't picture a cold attacking me. It makes sense to me to think of a virus attacking my system, but not "me". I may be wrong, but I think in general in American English we don't characterize colds, fevers, or viruses as attacking us. A virus might be attacking my immune system, which results in a fever.

"The fever attacked me in the morning" sounds a little humorous. I think it's just because we don't have the same mental image of fever.

shrek99

English Australia
    JamesM makes a very good point, it does rather personalise the fever to say it 'attacked' or as I suggested to be 'taken by' a fever. Maybe...My body was attacked by the onset of fever. Are we trying to sound professional here or is it more a question of style?

< Previous | Next >