fewer than <people who> <those who> have been killed by bee stings

< Previous | Next >

Oswinw011

Chinese
Original: Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—fewer than [have been killed by bee stings]. (Source: GMAT)Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white sha

Second:
Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—fewer than people who have been killed by bee stings.

Third:
Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—fewer than those killed by bee stings.

Hi, everyone
I wonder if the second and third version are correct. If not, could you explain a little? Thanks.

Last edited:
  • Chez

English English
    Second: ... fewer than those who have been killed by bee stings.(Avoids repeat of 'people')

Third: this is OK, but I prefer what I wrote above because I think it is clearer and easier to understand. In this sentence, the 'fewer than' is so far away from the number of people given at the beginning of the sentence that it helps to remind readers clearly what you are comparing.

Oswinw011

Chinese
    Thanks, chez, Franco filly. This is the explanation I just found on a GMAT forum(see the link in the #1):

Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—fewer than those who have been killed by bee stings.

it seems to be making a not-very-logical comparison between the number of people killed by sharks and the specific people killed by bee stings.

So, Franco's advice: 4.Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—fewer than the number of those who have been killed by bee stings.
    As opposed to: 5.Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—fewer than have been killed by bee stings.
    I don't know why sentence 5 is logical. It seems to me that it's still making a comparison between number and "people"
    Looking forward to your reply.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    The comparison is not between a number and people. Instead, a quantity of people is being compared to another quantity of people. You should understand "fewer" to mean "fewer people", which means "a number of people that is smaller than the previously noted number."

< Previous | Next >