fiction sociale

holzdolz8

English - Scotland
Hi! I am trying to figure out how to translate 'fiction', in this case from a sentence which reads:
"Et j'en connais un, moi, qui est en train d'écrire une fiction sociale intéressante."
I know fiction normally translates to fiction in English, but it has more of a meaning of imaginary stories. However, in this case it isn't an imaginary story but more real, does anyone know a good way to translate it?
Thank you! :)

• holzdolz8

English - Scotland
    Yes it's positive, the text is a transcript of a film about environmental activism, so this part is going on essentially to talk about the Grenoble Mayor who is changing the city with new green initiatives :)
    I was thinking perhaps to translate it as "I know someone who is writing an interesting social narrative."
    To be honest, there are multiple instances where 'fiction' is used in the film and none of which have the usual meaning of imaginary fiction, it's driving me crazy trying to think of good options to use!
    Thanks for your help :)
    for instance, here:
    "La fiction c'est notre mode d'être au monde. On est basé là-dessus. On est des créatures de fiction. On respire des fictions. On est, nous sommes des romans ambulants quelque part. C'est comme ça qu'on est dans le monde en se “racontant" des histoires."

holzdolz8

English - Scotland
    Give us more feeling: is fiction in your context rather positive or negative ?
    Yes it's positive, the text is a transcript of a film about environmental activism, so this part is going on essentially to talk about the Grenoble Mayor who is changing the city with new green initiatives :)
    I was thinking perhaps to translate it as "I know someone who is writing an interesting social narrative."
    To be honest, there are multiple instances where 'fiction' is used in the film and none of which have the usual meaning of imaginary fiction, it's driving me crazy trying to think of good options to use!

holzdolz8

English - Scotland
    the other example:
    "La fiction c'est notre mode d'être au monde. On est basé là-dessus. On est des créatures de fiction. On respire des fictions. On est, nous sommes des romans ambulants quelque part. C'est comme ça qu'on est dans le monde en se “racontant" des histoires."

misterk

English-American
    This idea is usually translated as "we tell stories / we tell stories to help make sense of our world / etc."

It's the word "sociale" that has me stumped. What do you think the author means by "une fiction sociale"?

Last edited:

holzdolz8

English - Scotland
    This idea is usually translated as "we tell stories / we tell stories to help make sense of our world / etc."

It's the word "sociale" that has me stumped. What do you think the author means by "une fiction sociale"?
    That's fantastic, makes more sense to translate it like that than what I originally put, thank you!

Hm, well I had only really thought of 'sociale' as just meaning its a narrative about people, I'm not great at this stuff. Any help is much appreciated :D

Last edited by a moderator: