Fiddle (adj)

minoski

Italian
Hi there. I've seen a lot of threads for the word "fiddle", but non of the answers to my question:

the adjective "fiddle", on the dictionaries I consulted, is related with something dishonest. But I've also seen that "fiddle" (noun) is the violin, so I wonder:
can the adjective mean also "something involving extra care"?

In my text it's referred to a job ("he had the fiddliest job of the lot of us") for which only sensitive man are appropriate.

At the beginning I translated it as "the easiest", but I don't think it's quite right..

• minoski

Italian
    Hi there. I've seen a lot of threads for the word "fiddle", but none of them answers to my question:

the adjective "fiddle", on the dictionaries I consulted, is related with something dishonest. But I've also seen that "fiddle" (noun) is the violin, so I wonder: can the adjective mean also "something to be done with extra care"?

In my text it's referred to a job ("he had the fiddliest job of the lot of us") for which only sensitive man are appropriate.

At the beginning I translated it as "the easiest", but I don't think it's quite right..

Dimcl

Canadian English
    A "fiddly" job is one that is "fussy". If I was building a ship in a bottle, it would be a "fiddly" job. A child learning to tie his shoelaces would find it a "fiddly" job.

Edit: You might want to delete your other, identical post on this topic, Cristina.

sound shift

English - England
    You are on the right lines. "Fiddly" is an adjective; "fiddle" is not. A fiddly activity is one that is intricate and requires a lot of manual dexterity. "Fiddliest" is the superlative of "fiddly". In your example, he had the most difficult job.

JazzByChas

American English
    Well, I think here that the best use of 'fiddle' applies to the definition which states that "fiddle" means to waste time or to trifle, or "dilly-dally". (here, #8)

So if he had the 'fiddliest' job, my guess would be thathis job was rather insignificant, or trifling, or so easy that it is (relatively) insignificant or unimportant.

{EDIT: however, this sounds like a BE term, so I'll wait for some help from across the pond}

< Previous | Next >