Field vs pitch?

elenec

Spanish
Are there differences between these two words? Is it just a question of language varieties, the kind of sports they are associated with, or both? When do I have to use one, but not the other? When can I use either of them?

• elenec

Spanish
    Thank you for your answers but Where do people play football/cricket/rugby/ baseball? On a field, pitch or both?
    I read people use pitch for European football (soccer according to Am E), cricket and rugby, but field for Am football and baseball, but I've also come across soccer field, and soccer pitch. :confused:

kalamazoo

US, English
    I would concur with language guy. In the US, we don't use the word "pitch" for a sports field, and most people in the US wouldn't understand what you meant. We would say football field, soccer field and baseball field, as far as I know.

no bunny

Irish, English- Ireland
    Good question. We use these terms all the time in Ireland and the UK.

A pitch is a sports field. You may only use the term 'pitch' to refer to a field that is used for sports, or a part of a field that is used for sports.

Examples:

"The field around the corner is used as a football pitch at the weekend"

"They had two rugby pitches marked out in the field."

"I was walking my dog in the field when he ran onto the pitch!"

Cricket, rugby, football (soccer), GAA, hurling, hockey all use the term 'pitch'. I dont think baseball does

Hope this helps ;)

no bunny

Irish, English- Ireland
    Thank you for your answers but Where do people play football/cricket/rugby/ baseball? On a field, pitch or both?
    I read people use pitch for European football (soccer according to Am E), cricket and rugby, but field for Am football and baseball, but I've also come across soccer field, and soccer pitch. :confused:

"Football Pitch" is more correct when referring to the area of play. A football field would be a field that has a football pitch in it...

If you say "field" and mean the pitch, people will still understand what you mean, but you shouldnt.

Example:

"I was watching a football game. Some youths were drinking beer in the field, but they were nowhere near the pitch."

insecuredave

English
    From a UK perspective, I would say that you can use either when referring to somewhere you play team sports. 'Football pitch' and 'football field' are both correct. However, 'pitch' implies the area is more professionally set up, with lines marking out the pitch - you would be unlikely to refer to the 'football field' at Wembley; you would use 'football pitch'.

Some sports (generally individual, or small team sports) are played on a 'court', not a pitch. E.g. tennis court, squash court, volleyball court. But you would not say 'football court'.

'Pitch' is also a camping term: at a campsite you would pay for somewhere to 'pitch' your tent (a marked-out area of land), and you would then 'pitch your tent' (erect it).

TriglavNationalPark

Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    "Football Pitch" is more correct when referring to the area of play. A football field would be a field that has a football pitch in it...

If you say "field" and mean the pitch, people will still understand what you mean, but you shouldnt."

Well, you shouldn't if you're using British English or Hiberno-English, for instance, but "soccer field" is the common term in American English. As others have explained, AmE does not use the term "pitch" to describe a playing field in any sport, so "soccer pitch"/"football pitch" should be avoided in AmE.

Last edited:

kalamazoo

US, English
    Don't confuse the issues here. In AE, do not use the word "pitch" to describe any kind of field where any sport in played. In AE, this word is not used for a field and people will not understand you. In BE, it seems to be okay.