FIFA Under-20 World Cup

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
FIFA U-20 World Cup

When I first heard this title, I thought the players were 19, 18, 17 ... because my take of the preposition 'under' is the number following it is not included. But it looks as though men at the age of 20 can play on the pitches. Is my interpretation of 'under' wrong? Or, is it just that the meaning of the preposition ambiguous?

• boozer

Bulgarian
    My take would have been exactly the same as yours - I would have assumed that as soon as you turned 20 you were automatically too old to play. :D I suppose it is because we are not familiar with the intricacies of the rules of the game. :)

sound shift

English - England
    In principle you are both right, of course, but "FIFA Twenty-and-Under World Cup" would be rather a mouthful. There certainly are some intricacies involved: a limited number of players in each squad can be over twenty years old :eek: (but I think there is a maximum age; you couldn't include old 'uns like Dimitar Berbatov).

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    The typical situation for an "Under X" competition is that players must be under the age of X at a specified date, usually before the competition actually starts (say Jan 1 1992 for an Under-20 played some time in year 2012). Then the competition takes time and some players may become 21 20 during that time.

Edit I should have written 20 not 21 in the last sentence.:eek:

Last edited:

HSS

The typical situation for an "Under X" competition is that players must be under the age of X at a specified date, usually before the competition actually starts (say Jan 1 1992 for an Under-20 played some time in year 2012). Then the competition takes time and some players may become 21 during that time.
    Hi, Julian.

Yes, but I'm looking at 20. When you say 'under 20,' should 20 be included?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I think I had it backwards! (Not enough coffee!) You must have been born AFTER that date. From the FIFA regulations for the 2009 Under 20 world cup.
    In addition to the above provision, each Participating Member Association shall ensure that all players of its representative team were born on or after 1 January 1989.
    So, for the 2012 cup, if you were born on or after Jan 1 1992, you will be eligible. If you were born on Jan 3 1992, you will be 20 on that day, and will be 20 when you play in the "Under 20" tournament

HSS

I think I had it backwards! (Not enough coffee!) You must have been born AFTER that date. From the FIFA regulations for the 2009 Under 20 world cup. So, for the 2012 cup, if you were born on or after Jan 1 1992, you will be eligible. If you were born on Jan 3 1992, you will be 20 on that day, and will be 20 when you play in the "Under 20" tournament
    So technically you can be playing at the age of twenty from Day 1 of the Games if your birthday is before the first day:confused:. (Maybe the definition of 'under' does not apply here. To be preciously in accordance with the eligibility, you might want to say 'under 21,' but it sounds odd. Probably that's why 'under 20' is used, don't you think?)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >