fifteen of the seventy-five-thousand-pound

jinmin1988

Chinese
Fortunately in October 2001 we won an Enterprise Award which helped us enormously. We invested fifteen of the seventy-five-thousand-pound prize money to help secure our future.
What does “fifteen” mean here? fifteen percent or something else?

Thank you.

• Infininja

American English
    They won 75,000 pounds but took 15,000 pounds of the original 75,000 and invested it to secure their future.

I hope that makes sense.

DernierVirage

English - United Kingdom
    It means fifteen thousand, the first occurrence of the word "thousand" is omitted here.

I would have said "fifteen out of the seventy five thousand", but "of" on its own is also OK.

neal41

USA, English
    Fortunately in October 2001 we won an Enterprise Award which helped us enormously. We invested fifteen of the seventy-five-thousand-pound prize money to help secure our future.
    What does “fifteen” mean here? fifteen percent or something else?
    Syntactically it could mean that they invested 15 pounds. Since this does not seem reasonable, it probably means that they invested 15 000 pounds, as others have suggested.

pickarooney

English (Ireland)
    I find the sentence to be poorly written as 'seventy-five-thousand pound (prize)' is a compound adjective and thus it reads as 'fifteen of the [...] prize money'.

Realistically, it's most likely that the writer means fifteen thousand and the confusion could have been avoided by inserting a K after 'fifteen'.

< Previous | Next >