Fijar los conceptos

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by kpjf, May 31, 2009.

1. kpjf Member

English - N.Ireland
    Hola,

Me pregunto si alguien puede ayudarme con una traducción buena de la frase "Fijar los conceptos"

Here is part of the original text:

...con el fin de fijar los conceptos y de sacar al final de la sesión, las diferencias y similitudes que hay...

and my translation:

...with the purpose of establishing the ideas and reaching a conclusion on the differences and similarities that there are...

Establishing the ideas doesn't sound right to me, so i would appreciate if someone could suggest a better translation.

Thanks

2. firefly-k New Member

Sydney, Australia
    English - Australia
    Hola,

creo que ' establishing the ideas' suena muy bien en ingles, tiene sentido.

Tal vez con un pocquito mas contexto podamos entender y ayudarte mejor?

3. Sprachliebhaber Moderator

USA English
    I think they mean "to fix the concepts" (as they have been defined during the session, so they are clear and do not change). A less formal way of saying it would be "nail down the concepts". "Y de sacar al final de la sesión..." is "and at the end of the session, to take away (remember) the differences and similarities that exist/there are...".

4. kpjf Member

English - N.Ireland
    Hi,

thanks firefly-k and Sprachliebhaber. Maybe i'm just being too fussy about the translation! Maybe i could leave it at what I have or change it to fix the concepts as Sprachliebhaber suggests.

Firefly-k here is the paragraph so you get an idea of the context with the original in spanish and my translation of it below:

Para exponer los temas, se utilizaron presentaciones de PowerPoint, recortes de periódicos y materiales suministrados por LAU durante los talleres de preparación. En cada sesión, las participantes discutían sobre los temas, mientras que una de las coordinadoras anotaba en tablero todos los comentarios, con el fin de fijar los conceptos y de sacar al final de la sesión, las diferencias y similitudes que hay entre las mujeres de áreas rurales en Irlanda del Norte y las de Latinoamérica.

To develop these themes, PowerPoint presentations were used, newspaper cut-outs and materials provided by LAU during the training workshops. In each session, the participants discussed the themes, while one of the coordinators wrote down on a blackboard all of the comments, with the purpose of establishing the ideas and reaching a conclusion on the differences and similarities that there are between women in rural areas of Northern Ireland and Latin America.

Thanks