filed up to

< Previous | Next >

bigapple1986

Persian
Hello
In following podcast the phrase " filed up " is not clear for me :

<< only one question in a thread >>

<< maximum of four sentences >>

By morning, there were more than 50 die-hard fans in line. Well, it paid off. When the box office opened at 9 am, we filed up to the window one by one and got our tickets. It was all worth it.

<< maximum of four sentences >>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Biffo

English - England
    When the box office opened at 9 am, we filed up to the window one by one and got our tickets.
    For me the verb 'to file' has a sense of movement whereas to queue (stand in line) does not.

It means the following to me. "We moved up to the window in single file and got our tickets." This has the sense of movement and the sense of being in a line.

adverb one behind another.
    http://www.wordreference.com/definition/single file

Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    For me the verb 'to file' has a sense of movement whereas to queue (stand in line) does not.

It means the following to me. "We moved up to the window in single file and got our tickets." This has the sense of movement and the sense of being in a line.
    Well, you have to have movement to even form a line/queue, don't you? People aren't dropped into a line from mid-air and stay stationary the whole time...! :eek:

Biffo

English - England
    Well, you have to have movement to even form a line/queue, don't you? People aren't dropped into a line from mid-air and stay stationary the whole time...! :eek:
    Ha ha! No, of course not. However there is a difference. For example suppose you are waiting in line for the winter sales to start. There is no movement until the doors open to allow the customers in. On the other hand if you are leaving a cinema you may line up to go through the doorway but be moving the whole time.

For me 'to file' has that sense of movement. Here is the Wordreference definition to back me up. :);)

file
    verb(of a group) walk one behind the other.
    http://www.wordreference.com/definition/file

< Previous | Next >