fill a bottle with...

Erebos12345

Canadian English
I just want to confirm something. Usually, we'd say remplir qqch de qqch d'autre, right? Would remplir qqch avec qqch d'autre be considered an anglicism?

How would you render: I'm going to fill my bottle with water.

...remplir ma bouteille d'eau...mais on comprendrait fill my water bottle, non?
...remplir ma bouteille de l'eau...but the definite article makes it too specific, doesn't it? Translates to fill my bottle with the water (from the spring on top of the mountain.)
...remplir ma bouteille avec de l'eau...would this be the best option?
Would fill my water bottle with water be remplir ma bouteille d'eau avec de l'eau? o_O

Thanks

• joelooc

French (Provence)
    Would remplir qqch avec qqch d'autre be considered an anglicism?
    It would sound somewhat weird. You would tend to specify "avec de l'eau" in case someone would think you usually fill it with wine or vodka:).
    remplir ma bouteille d'eau...mais on comprendrait fill my water bottle, non?
    in french from France a water bottle translates as "une bouillotte", no one would mistake it with "une bouteille d'eau".

Kecha

French (France)
    How would you render: I'm going to fill my bottle with water.
    Your example is "I'm going to fill my bottle with water", not "I'm going to fill my water bottle with water".

"remplir ma bouteille avec de l'eau" is fine, if you really want to be specific about what you fill it with. But "remplir ma bouteille d'eau" is probably more natural. The fact that you fill it with water (and not sand or vodka) is probably obvious from context.

"remplir ma bouteille d'eau avec de l'eau" is completely overkill.

joeloc I don't think we are talking about hot water bottle here.

Erebos12345

Canadian English
    Hmmm, interesting. Thank you.

I was under the impression that remplir ma bouteille d'eau would be too easily interpreted as fill my water bottle, and if it wasn't immediately obvious from the context, you'd be left wondering fill it with what? Juice? Water? Vodka? Hence why I thought remplir ma bouteille avec de l'eau would be less ambiguous.

At least étagère from the OP doesn't run into the same issue, right?
    ...remplir ses étagères à livres de chaussures.
    ...remplir ses étagères à épices de livres.

Too bad we don't say bouteille à eau for water bottle. o_O

OLN

French - France, ♀
    Prenons une bouteille d'eau en plastique vide qu'on remplit tantôt d'eau, tantôt d'autre chose.bouteille d'eau.jpg

"Remplir la bouteille d'eau d'eau" n'est pas incorrect en soi, pas plus que "remplir la bouteille d'eau de jus d'orange", mais la répétition sonne mal. On dira effectivement plutôt "Je vais [cette fois] remplir ma bouteille d'eau avec de l'eau".

< Previous | Next >