fill a ladder

helene james

français
Hi everyone,
I can't really find the meaning of this phrase as in the following sentence: "the need to fill a ladder on English pop's evolutionary chart"..?
I guess it means something to the effect of "faire progresser d'un cran la courbe évolutive de la pop anglaise" (the author is talking about his desire to take this kind of music one step ahead, not about the commercial charts)
But I'm really not sure...
Any suggestion welcome...
Thank you all in advance
H

• Kelly B

USA English
    What is the rest of the sentence, please? (and perhaps the one before and after, as well, up to a limit of four.)

helene james

français
    "I want to have a crack before I outgrow this youthful urge to be worshipped, this need to fill the ladder on English pop's evolutionary chart"... Basically in the paragraph he says he wants to make it as a popstar and change the face of pop music (sic) while he's still young...

helene james

français
    Merci, mais êtes-vous sûr: for some reason, I figured he was not talking about the "charts" but about the general evolution of english pop.. Besides he's a very ambitious young person, and I tend to think he wouldn't be satisfied just being "in the charts". If anything, it would be more in character to want to top them. But maybe do I overinterpret. Or maybe '"le besoin de s'inscrire dans la courbe évolutive de la pop anglaise" something like that.
    Maybe a native-speaker could help??

Surfin' Bird

French;France.
    Merci, mais êtes-vous sûr: for some reason, I figured he was not talking about the "charts" but about the general evolution of english pop.. Besides he's a very ambitious young person, and I tend to think he wouldn't be satisfied just being "in the charts". If anything, it would be more in character to want to top them. But maybe do I overinterpret. Or maybe '"le besoin de s'inscrire dans la courbe évolutive de la pop anglaise" something like that.
    Maybe a native-speaker could help??
    Il me semble que l'idée générale se retrouve dans les deux propositions.
    Maintenant, il est vrai que l'avis d'un anglophone d'origine n'est jamais superflu...

< Previous | Next >