fill a vacuum of indifference from that quarter

< Previous | Next >

Alex Coseff

Czech
Hello,

please, could I ask you for a suitable paraphrase for the bit in bold?
I gather that the leadership of TH didn`t care to take position of authority (which would have been different in the past). However, I'm quite lost with the rest...
Thanks a lot.

The paragraph speaks about Wanda, the head of the Women Institute in a small village; the previous paragraphs speak about the radical change and innovation she was aiming at (within the WI).

G.M.Malliet: Wicked autumn
In particular, the people over at Totleigh Hall had expressed no interest in seizing the reins, as they would have done in the old days, so Wanda had assumed the leadership would fill a vacuum of indiferrence from that quarter. But still she had far too little time to do with her time, which was probably the start of the trouble. Bound to lead to mischief."

Last edited:
  • Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I agree with Benny, except for one thing: I feel that "from that quarter" does not mean "from that place" (there is no implied elision of "the people of"); "that quarter" already directly means "those people".
    See meaning 15 at http://www.wordreference.com/definition/quarter -- "an unspecified person or group of people: to get word from the highest quarter" -- although the group of people here is not actually "unspecified".

Alex, are you sure you've copied the second sentence correctly? It looks as though you've inadvertently duplicated the word 'time'. It would make more sense as:
    But still she had far too little to do with her time, ...
    I take this to mean she was not busy enough (her WI involvement did not consume all of her time), she still had too much spare time, and ended up spending it mischievously.

Alex Coseff

Czech
    Hello Edinburgher, Benny,

many thanks for your answers! You've helped me so much!

Yes, you're right Edinburgher, I have inadvertently duplicated time. With your explanation and correction it now makes perfect sense:)

< Previous | Next >