fill her up (with petrol)

pepeelromano

English - Scotland
Hi, I'm going to Canada in a few weeks and I know that not all petrol stations are self-service. So what do I say to the pump attendant? My attempt:
Vous pouvez me faire le plein?
[...]
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Nicodi2

Français
    Hi, I'm going to Canada in a few weeks and I know that not all petrol stations are self-service. So what do I say to the pump attendant? My attempt:
    Vous pouvez me faire le plein?
    [...]
    Thanks
    Hi,

Which part of Canada are you heading to?
    I am not Canadian, and there might be some differences in their saying, but vous pouvez me faire le plein? sounds correct to me.

Take the most of your trip,
    Nico

pepeelromano

English - Scotland
    Thanks for your prompt reply! I'm flying in to New York and then driving up to Montreal and Quebec City, before heading to Toronto and then back to New York. I can't wait! By the way, it's MAKE the most of your trip. Thanks again.

piloulac

français France ♂
    "Vous pouvez me faire le plein?" sounds perfect in French.

En revanche "fill her up!" paraît un peu inhabituel.
    "fill it up!" ne serait-elle pas la formulation la plus fréquente ?

pepeelromano

English - Scotland
    Yes, you're right. "Fill her up!" is ridiculous and I said it as a bit of a joke. It's a bit of a cliche that probably comes from old films, I don't think anyone would say it seriously. It is (or was) traditional to refer to cars, boats and countries as "she".

franc 91

English - GB
    I second Keith on this expression (UK males are known to refer to machines, cars, boats, ships, locomotives and sometimes lawn mowers as 'her')

< Previous | Next >