Fill the gap/blank/void

< Previous | Next >

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

Context and Background:

The other day someone asked me to tell her something about PA (PA is a person), and when I told her that I was once taught English by her for many years. Here’s part of the conversation:

-So, who’s PA? I’ve heard you mention PA several times.
-Well, she’s one of the most important persons in my life. And she’s a very nice and kind. [She fills the gap/blank/void in my English language.] I am grateful for her help forever.

I wonder if the underlined phrase makes sense and sounds natural in the context.

Thoughts:

I want to say that “She teaches me English; she helps me with my English” and she also tells me something related to English, like culture and some other knowledge in English. And I didn't those things before I met her. She filled the "empty" in my knowledage, language, etc.

Thanks a lot

• koble

Chinese-local dialect only
    Using the term metaphorically to express your idea, I would say "She fills the gaps on my way to understanding/mastering English language."

owlman5

English-US
    I'm not fond of "fills the gap in my English language", Silver. That certainly doesn't strike me as an ordinary thing to say although I understand what you are trying to say. I'd use something like "She helps me clear up the problems I have in English."

cross-posted with koble.

Last edited:

Sun14

Chinese
    I'm not fond of "fills the gap in my English language", Silver. That certainly doesn't strike me as an ordinary thing to say although I understand what you are trying to say. I'd use something like "She helps me clear up the problems I have in English."

cross-posted with koble.
    What do you mean by "cross-posted with koble". Do you mean "she fills the gaps on my way to understanding/mastering English language." is idiomatic, too?

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    What do you mean by "cross-posted with koble". Do you mean "she fills the gaps on my way to understanding/mastering English language." is idiomatic, too?
    No, Owlman simply wanted to say that when he was answering my question, Koble was also doing the same thing. It doesn't mean that one is idiomatic since Owlman has already mentioned in his post that it's not ordinary. Since I'm a Chinese, most of the time when I "construct" a sentence or an article, I first think of the structure in Chinese. I have to say this is a very serious problem in learning English, but without using this method, what else can I do.

Anyway, Cross-posted means we post simultaneously.

Sun14

Chinese
    No, Owlman simply wanted to say that when he was answering my question, Koble was also doing the same thing. It doesn't mean that one is idiomatic since Owlman has already mentioned in his post that it's not ordinary. Since I'm a Chinese, most of the time when I "construct" a sentence or an article, I first think of the structure in Chinese. I have to say this is a very serious problem in learning English, but without using this method, what else can I do.

Anyway, Cross-posted means we post simultaneously.
    In my opinion, it should be the similar answer focusing on different respect.

< Previous | Next >