fill the gap(hollowness) of marriage, erase the void

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

Tonight I chatted with my friend Jane who divorced with her husband, during that I asked her a question:

"Since now you are alone, do you want to find someone to fill the gap of your marriage?"

I asked her the question but she said she didn't understand what I mean, then I used Chinese to tell her, she said she would say "to find someone to fill the hollowness of the marrige" or "to find someone to erase the void".

I don't know how to express here I want to ask her whether she wants to find a new husband? Which sentence sounds more natural to you? Thanks

"Since now you are alone, do you want to find someone to fill your hollowness?"
"Since now you are alone, do you want to find someone to fill the gap of your marriage?"
"Since now you are alone, do you want to find someone to erase the void"?

• WestSideGal

English, US
    You can simply say, "Are you interested in getting married again?" or "Would you like to get married again?"

sdgraham

USA English
    "Erase the void" seems a poor choice of metaphor to me. One cannot remove a "nothing."

That's why use the metaphor "fill the void."

I would go with WestSideGal's suggestion, however.

Silver

"Erase the void" seems a poor choice of metaphor to me. One cannot remove a "nothing."

That's why use the metaphor "fill the void."

I would go with WestSideGal's suggestion, however.

Thanks, SD, Unintentioanlly, I saw you changed your age in your profile here, Happy birthday.

I want to say, do you mean "erase the void" is not a good choice, but what about the other two? I also want to use West's idea, but here I want to make the language more colorful.

EStjarn

Spanish
    ...but what about the other two?
    "Since now you are alone, do you want to find someone to fill your hollowness?" I'd probably choose hollow instead of hollowness; as nouns, they have the same meaning. Also, I'd use the definite article instead of a possessive determiner: Now that you're alone, do you want to find someone to fill the hollow? ~ "Since now you are alone, do you want to find someone to fill the gap of your marriage?" I don't feel gap results in a clear metaphor here. There can be a gap between people, such as your friend and her former husband, because, for example, they are unable to understand each other. The gap would then be a cause rather than a result of the divorce.

sdgraham

USA English
    I want to say, do you mean "erase the void" is not a good choice, but what about the other two? I also want to use West's idea, but here I want to make the language more colorful.
    The other two sentences just have too many words and I dont like either "hollowness" or "gap."

Moreover

Choice of words is not only a matter of language but also one of propriety.

You have no idea whether the person is feeling any "gap" or "hollowness."

We simply cannot make assumptions about a person's state of mind and that person might be enjoying new-found independence and could be insulted by your choice of words.

WestSideGal's suggestion is a neutral way of asking the question.

There are many scenarios in life where "being colorful" is not appropriate.

Good luck.

Silver

The other two sentences just have too many words and I dont like either "hollowness" or "gap."

Moreover

Choice of words is not only a matter of language but also one of propriety.

You have no idea whether the person is feeling any "gap" or "hollowness."

We simply cannot make assumptions about a person's state of mind and that person might be enjoying new-found independence and could be insulted by your choice of words.

WestSideGal's suggestion is a neutral way of asking the question.

There are many scenarios in life where "being colorful" is not appropriate.

Good luck.
    Hi, SD

Thanks a lot. I have to say you are definitely right when teaching me how to use a word, but I only have one thing to share with you that is I asked her the question then she said the other two choices to me, and I asked question here only for the usage of the word, no hard feelings.

Thanks a lot

owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Silver. In your first question, you mention that Jane suggested a couple of alternatives, including "to find someone to fill the hollowness of the marriage" or "to find someone to erase the void".

I must agree with the others that none of these things sounds idiomatic. Jane didn't understand your original statement: "to find someone to fill the gap of your marriage".

As SD Graham suggested, the most idiomatic equivalent would be "to find someone else to fill the void". That is as close as you're going to get to a figurative expression with the same meaning.

As WestSideGal said, the normal question here would be something like "Are you interested in getting married again?".

< Previous | Next >