filling half the plate or bowl with vegetables

LQZ

Mandarin
Some public health advocates have argued that when the guidelines are updated later this year, they should be made even clearer. One proposal is to make Americans think about it visually, filling half the plate or bowl with vegetables. ---taken from the NYT
Dear all,

I was wondering whether the phrase at the end of the quoted sentence is an example of making Americans thinking about vegetables visually. Could you explain it to me? Thanks.

LQZ

• Copyright

American English
    Yes, you're right.

Instead of saying you need five cups of vegetables a day -- which is hard to envision -- they're asking you to look at your plate or bowl after you've served yourself (or been served) and see if half of what you see is vegetables.

It sounds like an excellent approach to me -- one of those: Why didn't I think of it? ideas.

LQZ

Mandarin
    Yes, you're right.

Instead of saying you need five cups of vegetables a day -- which is hard to envision -- they're asking you to look at your plate or bowl after you've served yourself (or been served) and see if half of what you see is vegetables.

It sounds like an excellent approach to me -- one of those: Why didn't I think of it? ideas.
    Thanks, Mr. Copyright. :)

< Previous | Next >