fin de non-recevoir

LOLBee

English, USA
Je viens de lire, sure le site internet du TF1, une article qui dit que Anne Lauvergeon…
" a rencontré, hier, Sarkozy. Pour lui opposer une fin de non-recevoir".

Je ne comprends pas cette phrase. Une fin veut dire "an end" mais "non-recevoir" je ne trouve pas.

• inR

France
    Hello,

- Originally it is a juridic expression and the definition is : "Procédé par lequel le défendeur neutralise la demande, sans la contredire au fond, sans l'attaquer de front" : I would translate "opposer une fin de non-recevoir" as "to dismiss a claim"
    --- Litteral translation would hardly make sense but clearly here "fin" stands for "aim" not "end".

- In unformal langage I would simply translate "une fin de non-recevoir" as "a refusal".

luckybelly

English - US
    "Brian m'oppose une fin de non recevoir"
    I think "Brian rejects [what I said, propose, am offering] out of hand" might be a good idiomatic English translation, if I understand the nuance of the French term correctly. As far as I can surmise, "une fin de non recevoir," in the everyday sense, is a rejection or refusal of a claim without even taking the specifics of the claim into consideration. For example, if a customer in a restaurant smacked their server across the face because there was a hair in their soup, and then requested a refund for the hair in the soup, their request might be rejected out of hand, because they reacted in an inappropriate manner to the situation, which thereby disqualifies their request from serious consideration. The rejection has nothing to do with the refund/hair-in-soup, but rather some outside reason for not even considering their request. I think in that case you could say that the restaurant owner "oppose une fin de non recevoir" to the customer when they come back the next day asking for a refund, after being chased out for being violent the day before.

Is this correct? I'm kind of trying to help, but at the same time trying to see if I understand the French expression myself. Thanks!

franc 91

English - GB
    It's using a legal phrase in a context that isn't necessarily legal, so it gives the idea of an absolute refusal on which there is no going back.

< Previous | Next >