Finally the car ran much better

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
Hello teachers,
Are the phrases between parentheses possible paraphrases for 'much better's the following context?
He did all the necessary work on the engine, and finally the car ran much better (in a way that is more satisfactory / in a way that is superior).

Thanks in advance.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Why are you asking about those paraphrases?

If you are using them to explain to your students what 'ran much better' means, they seem acceptable to me -- if you think they will help your students.

Like the two previous posters, I wouldn't use them in ordinary speech.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Hello teachers,
    Thank you teachers.
    Sorry, I should have said that I have no intention of substituting the paraphrase for the original one. It's just to explain the meaning to the students.

TL

Loob

English UK
    TL, what is the teaching point here? Why do you expect the students reading your textbook to need an explanation of "much better"? And is it the much or the better ​that will be unclear to them?

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    TL, what is the teaching point here? Why do you expect the students reading your textbook to need an explanation of "much better"? And is it the much or the better ​that will be unclear to them?
    Hello Loob,
    Both. Because they are beginners and 'much better' is a difficult phrase for them but 'more satisfactory/superior' are very easy to be understood for them.

TL

Loob

English UK
    OK, TL, you're the one writing the book!;)

But you should note that neither of your paraphrases covers the "much":(.

Loob

English UK
    As you'd already noticed it, then I'll leave it to you to deal, TL....

(By the way, you might want to take another look at that "finally" - I suspect you may mean "in the end". But that's a topic for another thread;).)

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    As you'd already noticed it, then I'll leave it to you to deal, TL....
    Hello Loob,
    Then this is how it will be:
    He did all the necessary work on the engine, and finally the car ran much better (in a way that is more satisfactory / in a way that is superior).
    On second thought, is the explanation possible like this too?
    He did all the necessary work on the engine, and finally the car ran much better (more satisfactory/ in a way that is superior).

(By the way, you might want to take another look at that "finally" - I suspect you may mean "in the end". But that's a topic for another thread;).)
    It sure is.

TL

Loob

English UK
    TL, I was planning to leave this one up to you;).

But I can't do so without saying that you've created a problem.

As people have indicated to you before, your paraphrase needs to "fit" in the original sentence.

What you're suggesting now, by focusing on "better" and leaving the "much" in place, is:
    The car ran much better
    >
    (1) The car ran much in a way that is more satisfactory.
    (2) The car ran much in a way that is superior.

Both (1) and (2) are, of course, really bad English:(.

< Previous | Next >