Financeurs / Bailleurs de fonds

Overton

France/England
Hi everyone,

I'd like to know what word is used in English for the organisations that give money to NGO for their actions. In French, they are called "bailleurs (de fonds)" or "financeurs" (although this word is not actually in the dictionnary...)

Is it "sponsors"? can you say "funds providers"?

Thanks in advance for you help!

• Overton

France/England
    Thanks... unfortunately there is not enough context for me to check that these are the right terms... it is surely not "lender", as the NGO does not have to pay back the money... Not "dormant partner" either... But maybe "financial backer" or "habilitator" (not in any other dictionary...)? Can anyone tell me which one to use?? Thanks!!!

texasweed

Banned
    French-born/US English
    Do you mean fundraisers / Professional Fundraising Organisations?
    Or financial providers (who help small companies get started) ?

edwingill

England English
    bailleur de fonds is the same as commanditaire. They are financial backers of start-up companies. We also use the term angel but I don't think this would apply to a NGO. Both bailleur de fonds and commanditaire can mean sleeping partner, but I don't think this would apply in your context.

Overton

France/England
    The context I'm working in is very specific, and it may well be that there is no such concept in English...
    What we call a "Bailleur de fonds" in the context of NGOs are organisations such as the European Union, the Red Cross, governments, etc. that have funds available to GIVE to NGOs or associations to finance their projects. They are very rarely a partner in the project, although they like controlling what is being done with their money. Apart from that, they do not expect any return on investment.
    would "Funding organisation" do?

Overton

France/England
    texasweed said:
    Look into "Funding Agencies".
    I really appreciate your help, all of you, it's great!
    I know I'm a bit of a perfectionist but... what if it's not an "agency"? or, if you are talking about several "bailleurs de fonds" of different types?

FRENFR

English
    You said "Would funding organisation do"?

Then you said, in response to TW "What if it's not an agency"

So I can now say "What if it isn't an organisation" in response to you!

I think you're being a little too perfectionist. Perhaps put your favourite choices into a hat, and pick one out?!?!

Overton

France/England
    Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude, on the contrary... :eek:

I suggested "organisation" because I think it is a broad term, which can include "agencies" and other types of organisations. But from what Tewasweed said, I thought I might be mistaken. Maybe you can't say "funding organisation", for all I know...

As it's a term I use nearly every day in my work, I want to get it right, that's all... Oh well, I won't bother you anymore with my perfectionism. :(

Thanks a lot anyway for your efforts in helping me, they do help!

nebbione

Funding organizations, humanitarian organizations, human-aid organizations. Agencies applies to more bureaucratic, government groups.

I would use organization.

Collectively, they are NGOs, which you could also use to refer to them.

Or, aid organizations would be fine.

Give me a sentence and I'll give you a better contextual response.

texasweed

Banned
    French-born/US English
    Overton said:
    Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude, on the contrary... :eek:

I suggested "organisation" because I think it is a broad term, which can include "agencies" and other types of organisations. But from what Tewasweed said, I thought I might be mistaken. Maybe you can't say "funding organisation", for all I know...

As it's a term I use nearly every day in my work, I want to get it right, that's all... Oh well, I won't bother you anymore with my perfectionism. :(

Thanks a lot anyway for your efforts in helping me, they do help!
    Overton, noone, as far as I can read, even hinted at your being rude! I'm myself a perfectionistic pain in the arse and know it's a downer as we're never satisfied until we have THE perfect translation. So chin up, remove that :( from your face and put a :) on. Calling us perfectionists is not an insult but a mere statement of fact. I'm proud of being one, even when it comes close to killing me... I can spend days stuck on the choice of a term amongst totally synonymous ones. Damn. Grrr. But it sure beats a lousy translation!

I didn't mean to mislead you with my suggestion. If I have, I'll be :mad: at myself. Looking up "funding organisation" I found this Site which suggests other terms while supporting yours (1st paragraph.)

Drawing from a hat, I'd pick yours afterall!

But what if they're not organisations? :D <outta here, quick!>

FRENFR

English
    Well said TW! And, something I picked up on in your post.

I'm myself a perfectionistic pain in the arse. Felt awkward to me. Then I realised we ( I say we as you seem to have a 99.9 perfection of English but French is your native) would say: I myself am a...

Just a brief note! Incidentally, I must be pretty accruate too :)

texasweed

Banned
    French-born/US English
    FRENFR said:
    Well said TW! And, something I picked up on in your post.

I'm myself a perfectionistic pain in the arse. Felt awkward to me. Then I realised we ( I say we as you seem to have a 99.9 perfection of English but French is your native) would say: I myself am a...

Just a brief note! Incidentally, I must be pretty accruate too :)
    :D Keep on being accruate and realise we're all prone to errors :D

bob_em

English, USA
    I would suggest keeping it simple.
    "Financial backers" would be an acceptable translation.
    The financial backer of an NGO could be another agency such as the Bill Gates Foundation, etc.
    Hope this helps.

SPRwmn

Dutch
    Hi all,

I realise this is a very old thread, but this still might be of future help to someone. In english, in NGO terms (and in diplomacy) we usually just refer to 'donors'.

Cheers

silwilhith

France (French speaker)
    When I was in the "NGO business" (Bosnia 1994) I would have talked of 'Funding Agency' for the European, Italian, or American help we received (through their ad-hoc semi-governemental funding organisations).

Whereas I would have talked of 'Private Funds' (like an Angel, ie. EDF Foundation) or 'Public Fundraisers' (the organisation which organise the Telethon for instance) for non-governmental funding sources.

< Previous | Next >