financial situation

Discussion in 'English Only' started by skye, Apr 2, 2006.

1. skye Senior Member

Slovenia
    Slovenian
    Is financial situation a proper way to describe everything that someone has (all properties, money, investments, real estate, ...)?

2. Bienvenidos

Bienvenidos Senior Member

USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    Finances would be a more common term.

3. COLsass

COLsass Senior Member

No, financial situation is better.

Finances are just the liquid aspect of one's financial situation. Liquid meaning money.

4. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    For an accurate answer, you should post the sentence you are working on.

5. panjandrum

panjandrum Occasional Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    As Kelly B says, you need to post a sentence or otherwise give us more context.
    My initial reaction is to say no, it is not an appropriate term to describe everything that someone has. It may be stretched to mean something a bit like that, perhaps.

6. maxiogee Banned

imithe
    My finances and my financial situation are usually pretty much the same thing. And neither of them refer to my home or other property I might own.
    My financial situation would, for me, consist of what monies I can lay my hands on with reasonable speed. My finances are what cash I have to hand at somewhat shorter notice.

7. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Everything that someone has...

Hmmm...could "assets" work?

8. moodywop Banned

Southern Italy
    Italian - Italy
    Wouldn't one's financial situation also include debts, especially a mortgage? I guess property would come into it if you let it to tenants.

9. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    My finances usually refers to both liquid--cash--assets and long-term assets and liabilities, though the emphasis is generally on the liquid portion.

My financial situation includes anything that contributes cash or places a claim on it, whether short-term or long-term. Thus, property such as a mortaged home, real estate holdings, tax liabilities, earnings, and even anticipated inheritances could be included.

Once you establish some context, including a sample sentence, we can determine the most appropriate term to describe what you are referring to.

10. skye Senior Member

Slovenia
    Slovenian
    I think I found out what I needed. Thanks.