find a dustbin

< Previous | Next >

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

I was picking up litter. My busket was full of rubbish, I wanted to dump it. At that time I bumped into a street clean worker, I asked her:

Excuse me, where can I find a dustbin?

Then she told me.....

Is the bold natural?

• The Newt

English - US
    It's natural, but "dustbin" is usually a British word; Americans would usually say "trash can" or "garbage pail."

NB: My basket...

Bildsturmer

English - American; Yiddish - Litvish
    Perfectly grammatical and natural sounding. Don't be too concerned about which word you use to mean "the container that holds trash", as regardless of which regional term you use as folks are going to know what you mean. Even in the southern United States, where I live, we would recognize "dustbin" just fine even though we usually just refer to it as "the trash" or "the garbage".

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, that's fine. I'd probably just say bin rather than dustbin. (A dustbin for me is usually one that belongs to a house.)
    Even in the southern United States, where I live, we would recognize "dustbin" just fine even though we usually just refer to it as "the trash" or "the garbage".
    He's referring to the container, though, rather than what I would call 'the rubbish'.

Yes, that's fine. I'd probably just say bin rather than dustbin.
    An American might figure out what you meant by "dustbin" (although I am not nearly as sanguine about that as is Bildsturmer), but few of my compatriots would understanding your meaning if you asked where the nearest bin was. You would instead be far more likely to be shown where the household stores its flour.

Ah, you needn't say trash can. Thanks for that.
    I disagree again with Bildsturmer. You do need to say that (or an equivalent, such as garbage can) if you actually want to find a container, rather than a possibly uncontained heap.

< Previous | Next >