Find in/Find at a shop

• b1947420

British English
    Thanks a lot. So you would say "you'll find this AT this shop, IN this mall, wouldn't you?
    No! Imagine that I want to buy some toothpaste.

"I can buy toothpaste in Morrison's shop in the mall"

"at" could mean "at" the door or something but you want to express "within" so we have to go "in / into" the shop to make the purchase.

Nicklondon

UK English+Frenchy French
    "I got it at Morrison's; you know, the Morrison's in that you new shopping centre."
    Note that in the UK shopping centre is used far more than mall - however, that'll change in years to come.
    In/At (interchangeable) the new shopping centre , you'll find a number of ....
    I'll meet you at the V&A/at Oxford Street tube station would mean you're meeting most likely by the entrance of the museum/station.

Sandalman

French from France
    Oh, Nick, thanks for your intervention, but I think I didn't get it :(

First sentence : understood. But may have you said "I got it in Morrison's" or is it only "at" ? and why ?

Gwan

New Zealand, English
    No! Imagine that I want to buy some toothpaste.

"I can buy toothpaste in Morrison's shop in the mall"

"at" could mean "at" the door or something but you want to express "within" so we have to go "in / into" the shop to make the purchase.
    Sorry to confuse matters, but I see nothing wrong with saying "I can buy toothpaste at Morrison's" or "at the mall".

b1947420

British English
    Sorry to confuse matters, but I see nothing wrong with saying "I can buy toothpaste at Morrison's" or "at the mall".
    I agree! in fact I have used this form myself.
    It is a question of accuracy however:-

Both are prepositions
    "at" in the sense of "location"
    "in" in the sense of "inside"

I would argue that "in" is the most appropriate but I would not fight you to the death over it. :)

< Previous | Next >