find, realize, notice

Allegro molto

Japanese
Hello

I went shopping. Back home I found my wallet gone.
(self-made sentence)

If I replace 'found' with 'realized' or 'noticed', what differences will there be in meaning?

Thank you

• Allegro molto

Japanese
    find /faɪnd/
    VB (finds, finding, found /faʊnd/)(mainly tr)
    3.(may take a clause as object) to become aware of; realize: he found that nobody knew
    realize, realise /rɪəlaɪz/
    VB
    1.(when tr, may take a clause as object) to become conscious or aware of (something)
    notice /nəʊtɪs/
    VB (transitive)
    1.to become conscious or aware of; perceive; note

As far as the WR English dictionary shows, there doesn’t seem to be much difference among the three words.

find vt
    5 become informed or aware of, by experience or trial
    realize vt
    1 be fully conscious of; understand
    notice vt, vi
    take notice (of), observe

The three above definitions are given in Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary of Current English. There doesn’t seem to be much difference among the three words, either.
    I understand now that realize needs a more complicated or deeper process of knowing than notice.
    And I suppose that in the given example sentence, both realize, realise and notice can be used.

Last edited:
    A I went shopping. Back home I found my wallet gone.

B I went shopping. Back home I noticed that my wallet was gone.

C I went shopping. Back home I realized that my wallet was gone.

All refer to approximately that same states of affairs; the meanings are slightly different.

A. means discovered, and often implies a process.a Scientists found a cure for cancer. b I went to look for some money to pay the cashier in the store and found that my wallet was gone.

B. This is something, perhaps not sought after, that comes to be perceived: a I noticed that someone had left the window open. "Caught sight of" is close.

C. is talking about a mental event, a realization. No process of action implied; nothing perhaps perceptual. a "When I went to bed, I realized I hadn't seen my wallet after arriving home.

b After I first noticed my wallet gone, I looked in all my pockets. I found nothing. I realized it must have been stolen.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >