find you with

< Previous | Next >

Madonna Halim

Arabic
In the book "1-2-3 Magic Teen"; the author is saying, "The years you're parenting teenagers find you with a distinct change in energy level."
What's meant by "finds you with" here?

• lingobingo

English - England
    It’s rather an outdated way to put it, but it really just means that the years during which your children are teenagers can be exhausting. The expression used to be used quite commonly in correspondence — as in “I hope this letter finds you well?”.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    From our WR dictionary at the top of the page :
    discover or perceive (something) after thinking about it or experiencing it: [~ + object + to + verb]to find something to be true.[~ + object + adjective + to + verb]I found it hard to believe that they would betray me.[~ + (that) clause]I found that money can't buy happiness.

Last edited:

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    In the usual sense, which is ambiguous. "I hope this finds you well" typically means one of two things. One is that the missive has successfully found you, the other is that, when it finds you, you are well. My understanding is that the latter is usually intended. I trust you are in excellent health, that sort of thing.

lingobingo

English - England
    In the usual sense, which is ambiguous. "I hope this finds you well" …… I trust you are in excellent health, that sort of thing.
    Oh right. Not sure why I’ve never come across it myself. But now I see that there have been several earlier threads about it.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    how can the "years of parenting teenagers" will perceive anything?
    It's style of speaking/writing. We anthropomorphize the years. We can do it with times of day too: In the afternoon we visited the amusement park on top of Tibidabo mountain, but the evening found us (or saw us) checking out the tapas bars in the Ramblas.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >