finds most difficult to countenance

NewAmerica

Mandarin
First I think "finds most difficult to countenance" might mean "finds such thing most hard to believe."

WRF defines countenance as "to tolerate." So I guess it should mean "finds such thing most difficult to tolerate."

Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance
It is this aspect of Cambodia's appalling child sex trade that Don Brewster, a 59-year-old American resident of the neighborhood, finds most difficult to countenance.

"I can't imagine what it feels like to have your mother sell you, to have your mother waiting in the car while she gets money for you to be raped," he says. "It's not that she was stolen from her mother -- her mother gave the keys to the people to rape her."

-CNN

Source

• Dretagoto

Inglés británico
    Yes, you understand it correctly. Don Brewster finds this element (that the mother is actively involved in this crime) the most difficult for him to tolerate/accept as fact/believe/understand/come to terms with (any and all of these would be part of the definition of countenance here).

Countenance, verb: admit as acceptable or possible.

Last edited:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    To countenance -> to look upon [something or someone] with permission or favour; to favour, patronize, encourage, support, etc.

< Previous | Next >