fine silk <shelley> [scarf]

< Previous | Next >

AudreyH

Italian
Hello everybody,

Is the word "shelley" a synonym for "stole", "scarf", or something like that?

It is mentioned in a short description (and associated with a picture) of a stole: "White fine silk shelley".

Thanks for any comment.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I've never heard of it; it's not in the OED; and a search for "silk shelley" in Google Books doesn't produce any relevant examples. Together, that suggests it's an error, rather than a rare word. But I can't think of a word similar to 'shelley' that would make sense there. Can you give us more detail of where this picture comes from (what period, what the original language might have been, etc.)?

AudreyH

Italian
    I've never heard of it; it's not in the OED; and a search for "silk shelley" in Google Books doesn't produce any relevant examples. Together, that suggests it's an error, rather than a rare word. But I can't think of a word similar to 'shelley' that would make sense there. Can you give us more detail of where this picture comes from (what period, what the original language might have been, etc.)?
    Thank you for your answer. The sentence is from the catalogue of a fashion house. It refers to their last collection of scarves and stoles. I wonder if it might be an error for "Shawl"... It is associated with a picture of a stole, though.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    Google "shelley scarf" and you will find that this is a style of scarf, crocheted in a particular (very simple) pattern. Apparently, the one in your catalog is made of silk yarn.

Who knew!

AudreyH

Italian
    You are right, Sparky Malarky, there are many pictures of "Shelley scarves" on the Internet. Thanks for your help!

< Previous | Next >