finished product and 'bulk'

ewanek

Czech Republic/Czech
Hello, can you please tell me what the word "BULK" in the following excerpt refer to? Is it simply material to fill the capsules with? Thank you for any advice. ewanek

"Considering the data presented and the potential health implications of a shortage of oseltamivir in the EU, the EMEA requested that recommendations be given on the use of oseltamivir (finished product and bulk) manufactured since May 2002 onwards (for which stability has or will shortly expire)."

• Judica

AE (US), Spanish (LatAm)
    Let's say your company makes pens. When you make the pens you make thousands and store them in boxes by 1000, 100, and 10. Also, let's say you sell some pens individually at the stores.

If I buy one of your pens at the store, I am just buying a pen. If I buy a box which contains 1000 of your pens, then I have bought "bulk".

Last edited:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Hello, can you please tell me what the word "BULK" in the following excerpt refer to? Is it simply material to fill the capsules with? Thank you for any advice. ewanek

"Considering the data presented and the potential health implications of a shortage of oseltamivir in the EU, the EMEA requested that recommendations be given on the use of oseltamivir (finished product and bulk) manufactured since May 2002 onwards (for which stability has or will shortly expire)."
    These terms are being used within their context of pharmaceutical manufacturing. So yes, if the finished product for this drug is capsules filled with stuff, then the stuff that goes in them is called "bulk" or "bulk drug". The "finished product" is exactly that - the capsules that are ready for the patient to swallow.

It is a distinct and different use from the common use of "buying in bulk" - there it is as noted above

< Previous | Next >