Finito che ebbi di desinare a un'unica tavolata assieme ai ferianti

Tobasco

English
Hi all,

I am having difficulty in translating part of a sentence and I could use some advice.
'Finito che ebbi di desinare a un'unica tavolata assieme ai ferianti, ........'
The narrator is a travelling salesman at fairs.

My attempt is: 'Having finished dinner at the special table amongst the fair workers,...'
This however does not sound quite right and perhaps I am not picking up on an idiomatic meaning of 'a un'unica'.

Thank you in advance.

• symposium

Italian - Italy
    It just means that there was one single table, and that the speaker was sitting with them.

Tobasco

English
    The original sentence is 'Finito che ebbi di desinare a un'unica tavolata assieme ai ferianti, presi la merce e andai a fare in giro per I caffe in quel momento affollati.'

The narrator is working temporarily as a fair worker as well and is currently working at a fair and is looking for somebody to give him a lift after the fair.

My translation now after symposium's suggestion is: 'Having finished dinner at the one and only table amongst the fair workers, I took my merchandise and went to do a tour of the cafes which in that moment were crowded.'

Or: 'Having finished dinner amongst the fair workers at the one and only table,'

Last edited by a moderator:

symposium

Italian - Italy
    Your translation is fine, but personally I don't think it necessary to stress out so much that the table was "one and only": you could just say " after having dinner with the workers at a common table"...

< Previous | Next >