Finito che ebbi di desinare a un'unica tavolata assieme ai ferianti

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Tobasco, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Tobasco Member

English
    Hi all,

I am having difficulty in translating part of a sentence and I could use some advice.
    'Finito che ebbi di desinare a un'unica tavolata assieme ai ferianti, ........'
    The narrator is a travelling salesman at fairs.

My attempt is: 'Having finished dinner at the special table amongst the fair workers,...'
    This however does not sound quite right and perhaps I am not picking up on an idiomatic meaning of 'a un'unica'.

Thank you in advance.

2. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
  3. symposium Senior Member

Italian - Italy
    It just means that there was one single table, and that the speaker was sitting with them.

4. Tobasco Member

English
    Ah, yes, that makes a lot of sense.
    Thank you very much.

5. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Yes :)
    So..?

6. Tobasco Member

English
    The original sentence is 'Finito che ebbi di desinare a un'unica tavolata assieme ai ferianti, presi la merce e andai a fare in giro per I caffe in quel momento affollati.'

The narrator is working temporarily as a fair worker as well and is currently working at a fair and is looking for somebody to give him a lift after the fair.

My translation now after symposium's suggestion is: 'Having finished dinner at the one and only table amongst the fair workers, I took my merchandise and went to do a tour of the cafes which in that moment were crowded.'

Or: 'Having finished dinner amongst the fair workers at the one and only table,'

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2018
  7. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    When was it written? It sounds quite dated..

8. Tobasco Member

English
  9. symposium Senior Member

Italian - Italy
    Your translation is fine, but personally I don't think it necessary to stress out so much that the table was "one and only": you could just say " after having dinner with the workers at a common table"...

10. Tobasco Member

English
    Ok, thank you very much.

11. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Yes, it simply means that the speaker and the workers all ate at the same table. Loosely:

I sat down with the fair workers to have a bite to eat and then went.....

12. Tobasco Member

English
    Thanks london calling.