fino ad attenuarsi significativamente nella zona macchiata

elegu

Italian
Hello everyone!
I am not sure about the translation of this sentences:

Nella t-shirt pronto per tinta sono presenti i picchi caratteristici di prodotti siliconici. Tali picchi risultano meno evidenti nel campione dopo tintura, fino ad attenuarsi significativamente nella zona macchiata dove risulta esserci meno intensità di colore. La sovrapposizione degli spettri degli estratti della zona regolare e della zona difettosa mette in risalto la differenza di intensità di alcuni picchi riconducibili al silicone. Il fatto che siano più pronunciati nel secondo spettro rispetto al primo significa una quantità di ausiliare maggiore.

My attempt:
, until they are significantly attenuated in the stained area

Is it understendable?
Thanks

• metazoan

US English
    Removing some of the redundancy:
    "These peaks are significantly diminished in the dyed region, where the color is also less intense."

rrose17

Canada, English
    I doubt we'd use the word "peaks" though. Are these in fact small bumps that are present in the ready-to-dye t-shirts? And what is "la zona macchiata"? I'm assuming this is part of the garment dyed process, based on your other threads. Is that right? then "stained" doesn't work, nor does "dyed", in my opinion, since the whole t-shirt has been dyed and there's a section that is "macchiata". Elegu could you give us a little more insight here?

Benzene

Italian from Italy
    Ron, you should read all of elegu's previous posts to understand the subject better.
    Here we speak about infrared spectrophotometry. So, the peak recorded by an IR spectrophotometer on a graph, in a certain interval of wavelength, is the maximum absorption or emission value of a chemical functional group in the same interval. Each peak corresponds to a sharp wavelength or frequency that is characteristic and unique to a chemical functional group of an organic molecule. The subtended area, which can be calculated by integration, represents the concentration of that functional group.
    By knowing all the peaks and their area, you can reconstruct the entire organic molecule and calculate the concentration of it present in the analysed sample.

Bye,
    Benzene

Last edited:

metazoan

US English
    And what is "la zona macchiata"? I'm assuming this is part of the garment dyed process, based on your other threads. Is that right? then "stained" doesn't work, nor does "dyed", in my opinion, since the whole t-shirt has been dyed and there's a section that is "macchiata".
    You're right, looking closer, they'd probably have used "zona tinta" if they'd meant "dyed". Maybe they are really describing about how the already printed/dyed part succumbs to later staining. Hard to know yet.

elegu

Italian
    I work in a laboratory and for our customers we test faulty textile products in order to determine the cause of their defectivness.
    Thank you all for your help!