Finto buonismo

lordrandall91

Italian
Salve.
Vorrei rendere in inglese questa frase: "Dove è il tuo finto buonismo in questo caso? Non c'è, perchè per l'appunto è finto."
Il problema è tradurre finto buonismo. Come tradurreste voi?
Grazie

• QuasiTriestino

American English
    You also might be able to use fake goodwill (which sounds a little more natural and less old-fashioned to me), but it depends on how you want to use the phrase. What's the sentence going to be used for? Or in what context?

Last edited:

metazoan

US English
    In the last few years the phrase "virtue signaling" has been used for buonismo. But be careful using it, you may sound like you're straight from the US alt-right.

Starless74

Italiano
    On a side note, the italian term buonismo (which has its origin in the 50's, with a milder meaning) has retuned to prominence in the late 90's exclusively in a pejorative sense (unlike virtue signalling, for example, as far as I've learnt).
    In this respect, the adjective falso in falso buonismo is redundant, since buonismo only defines an allegedly excessive/false/two-faced display of care about something (mostly used as an argument to denigrate any goodwill at all and justify wickedness, but I digress...).

I believe do-goodery may be an effective translation. Not sure about adding fake (natives, over to you :)).

alba.r

Italian
    do-goodery non corrisponde a buonismo, ma piuttosto a benpensantismo, anche goodwill , virtue signalling non corrispondono.
    buonismo è un termine circoscritto alla politica e, di recente, all'accoglienza esagerata, e significa falsa bontà, (crusca) e, come dici, falso buonismo è un pleonasmo. Una traduzione più adatta sarebbe forse overindulgence quindi : fake/ feigned overindulgence

Last edited:

london calling

UK English
    Bleeding heart liberalism : buonismo. A tendency to forgive one and all which often comes across as naive. Finto buonismo? Secondo me non esiste una traduzione esatta in inglese. Probabilmente bisognerà ricorrere ad una parafrasi.

Someone who pretends to be a bleeding heart liberal? A fake bleeding heart liberal?

metazoan

US English
    Bleeding heart
    Bleeding hearts may be naive, but they are at least sincere, no? @Starless74 seems to be saying buonismo is not sincere (and that therefore the finto in finto buonismo is already redundant).
    I'll also take this opportunity to discourage the use of do-goodery, a monstrosity of a word that almost no one ever says or writes.

Last edited:

Starless74

Italiano
    Bleeding hearts may be naive, but they are at least sincere, no? @Starless74 seems to be saying buonismo is not sincere (and that therefore the finto in finto buonismo is already redundant).
    I'll also take this opportunity to discourage the use of do-goodery, a monstrosity of a word that almost no one ever says or writes.
    Incidentally, I would as well (and highly) discourage the use of buonismo in italian, its monstruosity being on the speaker's side rather than the person(s) the word is ascribed to. "Buonismo", if such a thing exists, can only ever be sincere. ;)
    Forgive this digression, just my opinion and no offence to anyone intended.:)

alba.r

Italian
    Bleeding heart liberalism : buonismo....
    . Finto buonismo? Secondo me non esiste una traduzione esatta in inglese.
    Se leggiamo la spiegazione della crusca nel link citato e wikipedia, pare che i due concetti non corrispondono affatto.
    Per quanto riguarda il finto buonismo, certamente il buonismo si può fingere per opportunismo o altro, può non essere sincero, quindi feigned o fake

< Previous | Next >