fire oneself at someone

Discussion in 'English Only' started by eli7, Mar 13, 2018.

1. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian (Farsi)
    In Lie to Me series, Toress who is the expert's colleague (the expert, Cal, is her boss) is drunk at his house. The boss push her under the cold shower, she says "I'm cold, why don't you warm me up?", and tries to stick her tongue on his throat, but he push her back under the shower and asks "why are you doing this?", she says: "Oh, I'm sorry Dr, Lightman, I'm so sorry". Then the Boss says :"Toress twins...They fire themselves at me from left and right. How'd I get so lucky?"
    (Toress has a little sister who the boss knows, she is a trouble maker. But they are not twins! I don't know why he used the word "twins" here!)

What does "fire oneself at someone" mean?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. Franco-filly Senior Member

Southern England
    English - Southern England
    To me, it seems to be the equivalent of "to throw oneself at someone"
    informal
    : to try too hard to attract the attention of (someone one is sexually attracted to)

• Stop throwing yourself at him. You'll look desperate.

3. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian (Farsi)
    yeah, that's right. I remember a scene that her little sister said something to him, which falls into sexual category". Thank you :)

4. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    Another possibility: Torres' (note the apostrophe) twins are her breasts - one on the left and one on the right.

5. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian (Farsi)
    I am not sure if i got it. Did you use it metaphorically? and, whose breast? (The expert is a male)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  6. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    Torres' and Torres are pronounced the same so we don't know which it is. Torres twins (two people in the Torres family who are twins) or Torres' twins - the pair of things that belong to Torres, either children or breasts.

7. Franco-filly Senior Member

Southern England
    English - Southern England
    :DThat makes sense. Hence his reason for feeling lucky!