Fired unionized air traffic controllers

palabra86

Spanish
I think that I didn't understand it well, last time that I asked about it
so now I will ask: It is correct to understand "fired" as Dismantled the union of the air traffic controllers?

Ronald Reagan’s administration fired the nation’s unionized air traffic controllers and launched an all-out assault on workers’ rights, concentrating even more power in the hands of corporate executives.
Source: Why Unions Matter to You by Robert Reich

• Jektor

English (UK)
    It means that members of the Union were dismissed from their jobs.
    Non-union members took their places - from memory, I think the jobs were given instead to qualified Air Force (military) controllers.

Linkway

British English
    It is correct to understand "fired" as Dismantled the union of the air traffic controllers?
    No, not directly. "Fired" means dismissed from employment - employees who are fired lose their jobs and stop receiving their salaries.

However, in the context of major industrial disputes, sometimes employees are fired/sacked and then allowed to reapply for their jobs under new contracts. I don't know the details of the air traffic dispute that you refer to.

Last edited:

sdgraham

USA English
    However, in the context of major industrial disputes, sometimes employees are fired/sacked and then allowed to reapply for their jobs under new contracts. I don't know the details of the air traffic dispute that you refer to.
    It should be pointed out that the air traffic controllers were fired because they went on strike, paralyzing the American air transportation system, despite federal law specifically prohibiting it -- and refusing the chance the chance they were given to go back to work.

You can find more information here:Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization (1968) - Wikipedia

kentix

English - U.S.
    The ones who didn't come back to work when ordered to do so were fired. Those who came back were not.

What happened to the union was a separate action. It was later formally decertified as a union, presumably because it organized an illegal strike.

< Previous | Next >