firm / company / corporation

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
There are three words which mean the same: company / corporation / firm.

What is the difference between them and are they interchangeable to be used instead of each other or there are big differences among them?
Thank you.

• WyomingSue

English--USA
    "Corporation" is a legal term, used for a business that has been "incorporated," (made a legal "person." There are legal aspects to that which are too long to go into here, but you can look it up.) Often it's a larger business, but it doesn't have to be. "Firm" and "company" are vaguer terms. I associate "firm" with professional businesses, like lawyers, engineers, or architects. Off the top of my head, "company" is the broadest term, but I guess I wouldn't use it for one man who goes around mowing lawns for people with his personal lawn-mower.

sdgraham

USA English
    There are three words which mean the same: company / corporation / firm.

What is the difference between them and are they interchangeable to be used instead of each other or there are big differences among them?
    This is a little confusing since you declare that they mean the same thing and then ask if there are any differences. :confused:

In any event, see this previous post, which will also lead you to another post: firm;company; corporation?

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    Our company is hiring some IT people through a consulting "firm" or "company".

Are they both correct and the same? If so, which one is better in this situation in AmE? Thank you!

Egmont

English - U.S.
    The phrase "consulting firm" is more common than the phrase "consulting company," at least in AE. (I think BE speakers might also use "consulting house," but I'm not an expert on BE usage.) However, there is no real difference in meaning.

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    The phrase "consulting firm" is more common than the phrase "consulting company," at least in AE. (I think BE speakers might also use "consulting house," but I'm not an expert on BE usage.) However, there is no real difference in meaning.
    Thank you! :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >