first-personhood

< Previous | Next >
Hello
Another odd one as I continue to translate the philosopher Douglas Harding. He has many neologisms, and a playfulness with words, that aren't easy to translate. In this case, he is combining the term "first person" in the grammatical sense, and "personhood", meaning the state of being a person, to coin a new expression: first-personhood. When he writes "1st-personhood becomes second nature (or first Nature regained)" he is describing another way of being, in which the small self, that of one's biography (body, name, profession and all the rest of the accumulated stories we use to describe ourselves as separate beings), is replaced by a sense of the world-as-self.
I hope that is sufficient context. If I say prima-personaggine, could it possibly convey the same word-play of grammar meets the state of being human????
"La prima-personaggine diventa la seconda natura (oppure la prima Natura riaquisita")????????????
Thanks,
Charlotte

• Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    I imagine that "prima-personalità" cannot do, does it? "prima-personaggine" makes non sense at all, sorry.

L'Enrico

Italian
    Ciao,

Secondo me prima-personalità vorrebbe dire una cosa diversa.
    Concordo con Teerex che, almeno letteralmente, condizione di prima persona sembra la migliore, od anche di prima-persona (ai filosofi post-fenomenologici piace mettere i trattini ai neologismi).
    Però, se posso permettermi, dovresti controllare le precedenti traduzioni, perchè i termini tecnici filosofici non sempre sono la traduzione letterale.

E.

[Edit: variazioni sul tema potrebbero essere: L'esser Prima Persona, lo stato di Prima Persona, la Prima-Persona]

Last edited:

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    Secondo me prima-personalità vorrebbe dire una cosa diversa.
    Here it reports my hint. Anyway I had suggested myself that I thought it didn't fit the bill. But, just in case, it was worth an attempt anyway. Sometimes, we never know...;)
    Anyway we are still waiting for lookingforassitance opinion.

Last edited:
    Thank you to everyone. I have contacted a person who has been involved with the very few things that have so far been translated, and I will let you know which she thinks, based on her familiarity with the material, is the best solution.
    I am very grateful for all your help!

< Previous | Next >