first settlement in a series of lawsuits

Leafka

Polish
Hi,

I'm writing about a company settling a lawsuit. Is my sentence: 'This is the first settlement in a series of lawsuits filed regarding the accident' correct and clear? I want it to mean that there are many ongoing lawsuits regarding the accident, and one of them only has been settled so far.

Thanks!

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    In which country are the lawsuits filed?
    What specific doubts do you have about the example?

Leafka

Polish
    I have put the country name in the first sentence of my text:

'According to media reports from September 2014, Metro-North Railroad, a subsidiary of Metropolitan Transportation Authority, settled a lawsuit filed by victims of a 2013 train accident that took place in Connecticut, US. (...) This is the first settlement in a series of lawsuits filed regarding the accident.'

My doubt is whether it is correct to say 'the first settlement in a series of lawsuits' - does it sound natural to you?

Last edited:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Yes, it does. :thumbsup: (I thought about "... of a series of lawsuits..." but decided that what you have written is better, less ambiguous and more natural.)

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I rather disagree that it's the natural way but maybe it's just that I couldn't have written this. I'd have started off with the main message, 'This is the first lawsuit ..... + passive perfect infinitive verb + the rest with modifications. I find it hard to comment without rewriting.

< Previous | Next >