fish/ fishes

Status
Not open for further replies.

s21d

hindi
"I don't eat all types of fish/ fishes. I eat selective few."

Kindly tell me whether 'fish/fishes' fits in the above sentence. The speaker intends to mean that he doesn't like all varieties of fish and eats only selective variety.

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    For the first sentence, you want the word "fish". The problem, though, is the second sentence; "I eat selective few" does not remotely sound like natural, grammatical English. You might try "I only eat a few kinds."

s21d

hindi
    For the first sentence, you want the word "fish". The problem, though, is the second sentence; "I eat selective few" does not remotely sound like natural, grammatical English. You might try "I only eat a few kinds."
    GreenWhiteBlue Could you please tell me where to use 'selective few' or 'select few'?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Please see the previous threads on fish/fishes, if you still have questions about that.

As to the question about select and selective, please see the definitions. Notice that 'selective' refers to the person or thing doing the choosing, while 'select' in this use refers to the things chosen. IF you still have question about this, you are welcome to start a new thread to ask it. :)

This thread is closed.

Cagey,

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >