fishing

Egoexpress

Hungary, Hungarian
Hey there,

I'm looking for some terms regarding fishing. Do you make any difference between fishing for fun and fishing to get by? I mean, are they called the same?

What if one of your friends is going fishing and you'd like to wish him good luck, what would you say?

Have a good catch?

Thank you!

Last edited:
  • Egoexpress

Hungary, Hungarian
    Say,
    - Hi what do you do for the living?
    - I'm commercial fisherman?

Does it sound ok?:)

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Well, if you do it for a living then it's assumed that you are engaged in commercial fishing. So, you'd probably just answer "I'm a fisherman."

If you ask someone what they do for a living and they say "I'm a soccer player" or "I'm a clown," you assume that these are professions and not just hobbies.

sdgraham

USA English
    I don't know what you mean by "to get by."

Here in the Pacific Northwest:

Sport fishing = Fishing for the fun of it although you or somebody else will eat what you catch.
    Commercial fishing = You intend to sell your catch, although you might eat some.
    Subsistence fishing = You eat all of what you catch and you depend on it for at least part of your diet. (Provided for in Alaska, for example.)

Egoexpress

Hungary, Hungarian
    "getting by" means to financially survive the everydays in my dictionary, well then my dictionary seems to be wrong?

< Previous | Next >