fitting in

< Previous | Next >

Trendafil

Suiza, alemán
Hi all,

I am trying to find a synonym phrase for "fitting in", that is, fitting in a specific subject in a subject area or a defined research field, as e.g. in literature, "fitting in an author" in a genre.

thx :)

• e2efour

UK English
    I think you are making things very unclear! :)

What does fit in something mean? The in does not normally follow the verb (as in "I couldn't fit the mattress into the boot of the car").

What is the situation where want to fit something into a subject area (what subject area, for example?).

Could you try and write the sentence yourself first? Put ?????? if necessary. If you don't do this, the answers you get will be too wide.

Just trying to be helpful! :)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I agree with e2efour.

For one thing, it is not clear to me what you mean by fitting an author in a genre. Could you explain that example using other words? Or give us another specific example, with more explanation, please. The more specific information we have, the more likely we are to be able to think of a useful word.

Trendafil

Suiza, alemán
    ....better late than never...
    thanks e2efour and cagey for your help!

In case you still read this:
    I was looking for another way of rendering "fitting an author into a genre" (quote e2efour), and since I'm not a native speaker of Enlish my expression was unclear.

Would appreciate ideas :)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I don't think we have a verb that by itself will express this precisely. It would be helpful to have a complete sentence so that we can see why you want to use this particular structure.

Also, are you saying that it is easy to assign the work to a genre? Or that it isn't? Do people tend to mis-identify the genre to which the work belongs?

Trendafil

Suiza, alemán
    I would like to say where in a genre a specific author could be placed according to his works, e.g. in the vast field of detective fiction, to which corner of the genre, let's say, Bret Easton Ellis belongs to, or where exactly "he fits in" (to use the phrase for which I wanted a synonym). E.g. [+detective] [+hardboiled] [-locked room mystery]

As a matter of fact sometimes it is not easy to say where within the field of a genre an author fits in, because it's the authors who create the genres. Therefore, the identification of the genre a work belongs to might easily be mis-identified (to use your words)

...anyway, sorry if I'm complicating things. Thanks for your answer

< Previous | Next >